Thursday, March 02, 2006

WPT Tourny of Champions

As we are on the verge of the new season of the WPT (TV wise), yesterday marked a new episode of the WPT Tournament of Champions. I must say that the advertisement for this was terrible as all I've seen for TV commericials were hyping the new season started on March 8 and completely ignored the show yesterday (which was a new episode) or at least I'd never seen it on the Travel Channel before.

My man John Stolzmann was there. He looked quite different without his hat but hey, I guess you dress differently after you win over $1.5 million!! Along with "Johnny Blinder" are WPT Player of the year "Kid Poker" Daniel Negraneau, Micheal Gracz, Alex Brenes, Eli Elezra, and the maniac/lucky horse shoe known as Tuan Le. The first first to exit the felt was Stolzmann. He had played very tight and decided to take a stand w/8-9 after a raise by the poker tramp Tuan Le. I tell you want, anybody else at the table would have folded (K-J off suit), but not Tuan. I really doubt that his reading tells of others is that good (as shown in a previous tourny against Bradley Burman; failing to laydown AK and spiked an Ace on the river). Tuan has about $60K invested and will cost him over $500K to call and does so with a K-J off suit. A delayed flop as the cards were stucked with sticky glue or something but the window card was an 8 giving hope but to only be shattered as the next 2 cards came K-J and no help afterwards.

Tuan eventually abolished the field and took out every player; literally Not only that, I don't recall him being the favorite PF (pre-flop) whether it was a coin flip or being a 3-1 dog. Good mother of God!! I have never seen somebody this lucky before in my life (at least he admitted it in his interview at the end). His 1st WPT Title, the same lightning kept striking him and in the WPT Championshiip, he got some "help" (cahoots with him?) from his friend Hasan Habib (Oh and don't forget his mircacle gut shot straight HU against Paul Maxfield).

On a side note, those cameras they installed in the middle of the tables look weird. I do think its a good addition as now you get an even better chance to study the players on TV better than before. I did pick up some tells on Tuan Le so I'll put it to good use if I see the 3-Time WPT Champ at my table.

Also, I missed Shana Hiatt. I don't think anybody can replace her charisma, hotness, and awesomeness that she brought to the table. Let's all hope we get to see her on the big screen or something soon cuz its killing me (ok maybe not killing but it still hurts). :-D

No comments:

Best US Sites