Saturday, July 15, 2006

I Got My Ass Whipped in Vegas

I thought my performance in Reno was pretty bad the first 2 hours of that tournament but if I thought that was horrific, the $1000 WSOP NL event was even worse as I didn't even make it to the 2nd hour.

A combination of bad luck and bad playing on my behalf that could be equivalent (or worse) to James Van Alstine's WPT World Championship performance would be a good analagy (or the way David Matthew shuffled his chips) to the way I played. Starting off with a meager $1000TC instead of $10,000TC limited you to make mistakes early. The fact that I was dealt pocket kings about the 10th hand of the tourny on the cutoff (sounds good) only to lose to the big blind's spectacular hand of J8 (this guy was very loose throughout my stay didn't make things worse (good thing an ace hit or I probably would have been broke there).

Twenty minutes into the tourny, "The Hitman" Ted Forrest shows up to the tourny 2 seats to my left. I had a feeling that maybe the great Phil Hellmuth had a seat next to me because of his many infamous appearances. I even joke to Ted that I thought Phil had that seat reserved but it was fine that he appeared (actually no, I wanted a table change!) Even Ted has to show his ID to the dealer before he can go on and I remark, "Even Ted has to show his ID. I see Ted and his aggressive style bluff his was to a good amount of chips with one hand with an AK to the loose-goose that cracked my kings where Ted bet out every street and won with Ace high.

Then, this doozy of a hand came up. Blinds are at 25-50. Ted smooth calls in early position and the small blind calls and check for free from the BB with 5-7. Flop comes A-7-2 with 2 clubs. I bet 100, Ted calls and the SB folds. Right now, I am putting Ted on a flush draw. Turn is another ace. I decide to check and Ted bets 200. I think and put Ted on a hand like QJ or J10 of clubs seeing his aggressive style. River is a 7 giving me 7s full of aces. I check and Ted fires 400. I stare at Ted, and he doesn't flinch like one of those London guards. I call and Ted flips over an Ace-rag for the better full house and am crippled to 125 chips and was never able to recover. At least I can say that I got my ass crippled by Ted Forrest.

Highlights

With an early bust out, I decided to check out some of the poker sites' lounges. Some highlights included an autograph from Hoyt Corkins and Doyle Brunson. When meeting Hoyt, somebody asked him, "Hey Hoyt, are you playing today?" Hoyt replies that he had already busted out which got some chuckles. Then when meeting Doyle, somebody asked, "Hey Doyle, are you gonna play in the Senior's Event?" Doyle says, "Nah, I'm probably gonna play in the HORSE Event on the same day. Besides, I'm not old enough to play in the Seniors Event yet. That got some chuckles as well. Turned out to be a wise decision as Doyle made the final table in the HORSE Event.

Other highlights included pictures below. In particular, the most popular player had to be "The Flying Dutchman" Marcel Luske. Luske wasn't wearing any poker site's swag. Dressed for success in the $5000 suit and probably limousine riding, jet slinging, son of a gun (wooo!!), he probably had 1000s of people swarm him outside taking autographs and picture. He even got "Bobby" John-Robert Bellande to bend over to use his back to sign shirts!!

Me and 2 time WPT Champ Erick Lindgren


Me and Chris "Jesus" Ferguson


Me and Marcel Luske. He even let me wear his sunglasses upside-down! Picture is off-centered but thats the idiot's fault who took it.


Me and reigning 2005 WSOP Champ Joe Hachem. Very genuine and cool guy. Signed my shirt, "Pass the sugar!"


Me and eROCKtica girl! She was passin out ticket discounts to the show eROCKtica. My eyes aren't that small.. they happened to be blink-closing when the camera snapped... :-D

No comments:

Best US Sites